There has been a lot of talk about the coronavirus (COVID-19), as a health center here is the information that you need to know about the virus. The most important thing is to keep calm, plan accordingly and not panic.
If you have general questions about COVID-19, call Central Iowa 2-1-1 first before contacting your medical provider.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The coronavirus is a respiratory illness and the following symptoms of the illness are:
- Difficulty breathing
- Shortness of breath
According to the CDC, 80% of the population will have only mild cold symptoms. The populations who are most at risk from the virus are the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.
When you arrive at the clinic you will be asked to call the front desk and wait in your car before entering the building. Staff will meet you outside, and bring you straight to an exam room.
How can you protect yourself from COVID-19?
You can help prevent the spread of the virus by:
- Covering your cough
- Washing your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds
- Staying home if you are sick
- Avoiding large public gatherings
- Keeping at least six feet between you and other people.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Disinfecting common surfaces where you frequently touch
Find more information from the CDC.
What should you do if you think you have COVID-19?
Call your primary care provider before coming into the clinic, if you suspect you have COVID-19, begin to have symptoms, have been in close contact with someone who has or had COVID-19, or live in an area where there is an ongoing spread of COVID-19. Below are the recommendations made by the CDC for what you should do if you have or believe you have the virus:
- Stay home except to get medical care, and make a plan to get groceries and other essentials to be delivered to your home.
- Separate yourself from other people and animals in your home
- Wear a facemask when you are around other people.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes
- Clean your hands often
- Avoid sharing personal household items
- Clean all “high-touch” surfaces every day
- Monitor your symptoms
Find more information from the CDC
If you have questions about COVID-19 please call Central Iowa 2-1-1. They are ready and waiting to take your call and answer your questions.